Subject: Re: 1. uiopeek? 2. hashinit/hashdone?
To: Chapman Flack <nblists@anastigmatix.net>
From: None <brian@surge.insomnia.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/04/2006 22:10:02
1: ".Fn hashinit
function allocates and initializes space for a simple chaining hash table.
The number of slots will be the least power of two not smaller than
.Fa chains ,"

This seems to me to be a commitment to allocate based on power of two.
Sure, the current implementation does this (going so far as getting into
an infinite loop if elements is ~0 on most architectures), but is this a
contract you want to provide?

My peferred language would be something like:
".Fn hashinit
function allocates and initializes space for a single chaining hash table.
The number of slots will be atleast chains in length

2: While on one hand, I don't like the mention of LIST and TAILQ, they
have to be mentioned. It would be nice to mention that there may be more
htypes added in the future, so one should not assume those are the only
legal htypes (although they are in the current implementation, of course).

3: The documentation does not mention any limits on sizes of the chains.
This should be added, since it would be nice if the contract explicitly
forbidded hashsize * esize being > the value a u_long can store. I
personally would have some macro defining the maximum, and document its
existance (so it can vary among architectures).