Subject: Re: MIDI renovations available for testing
To: <>
From: Chapman Flack <nblists@anastigmatix.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/23/2006 15:30:14
der Mouse wrote:
> of six of the first eight notes, or some such.)  I should try the same
> thing via MIDI, so as to have exactly the same velocity on all the note

In which case you might establish that it falls back to LRU (perhaps)
if there is no other information to use, but we've already established
that the keyboards will make use of other information when available
to improve on strict LRU.  In a typical MIDI stream there will be
velocity differences to look at, and some channels will have different
volume controller values, and some may have the legato
or portamento controllers active (probably should be a penalty for
stealing from these) and so on. I suspect midisyn would sound better
if it looked at some of that information too.

-Chap

you might also try a MIDI stream that strikes all notes with the same
velocity, but some on string ensemble and some on trumpet, and see which
get stolen first. I confess I have not tried this.