Subject: rasops vs. splash
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/22/2006 12:19:36
I'm looking at rasops and splash a bit more lately, and I find that
there is a lot of sharing/duplication of effort.

For example, I need to make splash support drawing on a BGR display (it
only supports RGB at the moment).  Not terribly hard to do, but we
already have all this support in rasops.

It strikes me that we really need a common framework for display
adapters (pixel oriented at least) to expose themselves, and implement
just a single set of operations, from which either text or graphic
drawing can be done.

I'd like to suggest that we consider merging the splash and progress
features with rasops a bit more, so that raster-oriented (or pixel
oriented) displays can have a single API they have to implement in order
to get reasonably complete support.  And so that logic that needs to be
added to splash etc. can be simplified, removed, and just use the same
logic where it exists in rasops.

Thoughts?

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/