Subject: Re: Changes for proplib to reduce kernel bloat
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@NetBSD.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/12/2006 10:50:15
On May 11, 2006, at 10:48 PM, Pavel Cahyna wrote:

> What about the old NeXTSTEP (is it NeXTSTEP?) text format? If human
> readability and editability is a concern, I think it is much more
> human-readable and editable. (Imagine using property lists for the
> kernel
> command line - entering a property list in the boot loader would be
> much
> easier in the NeXTSTEP format than in the XML format.)

The old-style plist format used by OpenStep cannot represent
numbers.  From the reference you cite:

ASCII property lists support the four primary property list data
types: NSString (java.lang.String in Java), NSData, NSArray, and
NSDictionary. Additionally, NSDate and NSNumber objects can be
archived, but will become strings when unarchived.

-- thorpej