Subject: Re: Changes for proplib to reduce kernel bloat
To: Jed Davis <>
From: Edward B. DREGER <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/12/2006 01:26:22
JD> Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 20:16:19 -0400
JD> From: Jed Davis

JD> Or, as long as we're getting out the bikeshed paint buckets:

I see your JSON and raise you CDR/IIOP. ;-)

A YAML-smelling format was a brainstorm for a human-friendly candidate.
Personally, I agree with Garrett: native format in the kernel, as much
code as possible/reasonable in userland.  It's not just a question of
kernel size, it's one of potential bugs and bitrot.

All that said, I'm sure Jason et al. have given this more thought than I
have.  Chances are also slim that I'd be the one to implement any
changes.  That said, I probably have no further input.

Everquick Internet -
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. -
Phone: +1 316 794 8922 Wichita
DO NOT send mail to the following addresses: -*- -*-
Ditto for broken OOO autoresponders and foolish AV software backscatter.