Subject: RE: question about CARP
To: 'Liam J. Foy' <liamfoy@sepulcrum.org>
From: George Chen <georgechen2101@msn.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/10/2006 09:54:38
Hi Liam,

I have a same script on both firewalls.
ifconfig spi4 up
ifconfig spi7 up
ifconfig carp0 create
ifconfig carp0 vhid 1
ifconfig carp0 carpdev spi4
ifconfig carp0 advskew 150
ifconfig carp0 11.10.4.100
ifconfig carp1 create
ifconfig carp1 vhid 2
ifconfig carp1 carpdev spi7
ifconfig carp1 advskew 150
ifconfig carp1 12.10.4.100
sysctl -w net.inet.carp.preempt=1

When setup, carp0 and carp1 are MASTER on fw1. I bring carp0 down with
command
Ifconfig carp0 down.

I expect carp1 on fw1 will be down automatically. But it doesn't happen. The
result is that the traffic is blocked.

Actually I have made some modification to the code from
ftp://packages.stura.uni-rostock.de/patches/carp.diff

I wonder if this problem came from the original code or from my
modification.

I didn't know your patch. Would you share it with me?

Thanks

George Chen