Subject: Re: Changes for proplib to reduce kernel bloat
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Chapman Flack <nblists@anastigmatix.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/09/2006 12:24:51
Jason Thorpe wrote:
> One of the key points is to have this intermediate format that can be
> used to pass between the kernel and user space.  In order to do that,
> the kernel needs to have the ability to generate and parse the XML.

Did there seem to be any possible value in my compromise suggestion
yesterday of putting the "XML" code in a separate file that's associated
with an autoconfig attribute like propxml?

Then any drivers or features that actually rely on the intermediate
format would be marked in 'files' with the propxml attribute, and
building a kernel to include any of them would automagically suck
in the extra code with no need to make a manual decision about an
option, and at the same time you'd have clear documentation in 'files'
about who relies on the functionality and who doesn't.

I suppose you'd want it unconditionally if you were including LKM
support, just in case you later load a module that wants it.

-Chap