Subject: Re: Changes for proplib to reduce kernel bloat
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/08/2006 23:20:05
On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 07:40:04PM -0700, Garrett D'Amore wrote:

> I'd be interested in seeing a better break down of the "bloat".  We're
> only talking ~20k here.  Yes I know every bit is precious, but how much
> can we prune this and *retain* _any_ common format for data passing?

I have a thought.  Maybe we should start counting calories.  So, those
committing changes required in all kernels that increase the size of
those kernels would need to find an equal amount of space elsewhere to
whack, or get Extra Special Permission from core.

Jason, for example, is an extremely smart guy, and I am pretty sure he
could find 20K elsewhere in the kernel to kill off in a relatively short
span of time. :-)

Thor