Subject: Re: Removing iTE IT87xxF code from the lm(4) driver (new it(4) driver)
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/08/2006 21:38:10
On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 04:43:40PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 09:43:10PM +0200, Juan RP wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've adapted the it(4) driver from OpenBSD to work on NetBSD/envsys.
> > There is one improvement as well, for example this driver does not
> > need to specify the port address on the kernel config anymore.
> >
> > The IT87xxF driver can be located at the 0x280, 0x290, 0xc00 and 0xd00
> > port addresses, so I've added code to check in these addresses.
>
> Generally, it's not a great idea to poke (or even peek) around on the
> ISA bus looking for a device, because other things at those addresses
> might object.  In particular, 0x280 is a common address for ISA
> Ethernet cards.  Are you *sure* the probe is nondestructive?

Be warned, there are no non-destructive ISA probes....

So, enabling such a probe in any kernel (other than one on a system where
expect the device to actualy be present) is a bad, bad idea.

Even the 'grope' code done by manufacturer supplied DOS configuration
programs has been know to lock systems solid....

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk