Subject: Re: Changes for proplib to reduce kernel bloat
To: <>
From: Chapman Flack <nblists@anastigmatix.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/07/2006 13:08:25
Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> that my first instinct would be to parse the XML at user level, and use
> some sort of TLV representation for the kernel interface.

Well, as long as there's support for SOME representation that can be
passed to the kernel, in common code that doesn't have to be reinvented
by each driver author who wants to do something similar. IIUC, the 'XML'
parser in proplib is just a lightweight parser for enough "XML" to
represent proplib objects ... maybe it's good enough?

Perhaps the best way to split it off is to put it in another file
pulled in by an autoconfig attribute like propxml; that way any
drivers that rely on it can just have that attribute and if you
configure one in, you get the support automagically.

-Chap