Subject: Re: [SoC] LED/LCD Generic API
To: Joseph Mullally <mullallj@tcd.ie>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/05/2006 20:43:50
Joseph Mullally wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   With regards to Summer of Code projects, I am very interested in the "LED/LCD
> Generic API" project. While I realise its cutting it close for this, if anyone
> has any feedback on my proposal that would be great. The proposal is at
>
>   http://www.netsoc.tcd.ie/~bofh/soc_NetBSD_LEDAPI.html
>
> Thanks!
>   -- Joseph Mullally

Hmm... I really like the idea of a common API.  But I am doubtful about
the need or benefit provided by a userland daemon.  Couldn't this
instead be handled by simple ioctls to the devices themselves, which
could export a common set of ioctls for querying features, and
getting/setting values?

A *utility* that runs at startup to configure initial settings from some
configuration file might be useful however.

I would strongly recommend looking at the GPIO framework as an example
for what I have in mind.

I'd also be willing to mentor this project.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191