Subject: Re: [SoC] LED/LCD Generic API
To: Joseph Mullally <>
From: Garrett D'Amore <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/05/2006 20:43:50
Joseph Mullally wrote:
> Hello,
>   With regards to Summer of Code projects, I am very interested in the "LED/LCD
> Generic API" project. While I realise its cutting it close for this, if anyone
> has any feedback on my proposal that would be great. The proposal is at
> Thanks!
>   -- Joseph Mullally

Hmm... I really like the idea of a common API.  But I am doubtful about
the need or benefit provided by a userland daemon.  Couldn't this
instead be handled by simple ioctls to the devices themselves, which
could export a common set of ioctls for querying features, and
getting/setting values?

A *utility* that runs at startup to configure initial settings from some
configuration file might be useful however.

I would strongly recommend looking at the GPIO framework as an example
for what I have in mind.

I'd also be willing to mentor this project.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191