Subject: Re: Access Control Lists
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
From: Elad Efrat <elad@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/02/2006 15:14:31
Brett Lymn wrote:

> Do you mean POSIX ACL's here?

I hope not. :)

> ok but how to you find these chunks of data on the media if there are
> no pointers to them?  How do you associate files in a file system with
> a blob entry?  How are the tools that need to manipulate the ACL
> entries going to find the ACL data on the media?

That's exactly why I removed ACLs from the projects page. The real work
will be to do the underlying implementation, which has nothing to do
with ACLs but more with file meta-data.

A project that fits in the SoC time-frame and would be the first logical
move in this direction is Adding subfiles to FFS:

http://www.netbsd.org/contrib/projects.html#addsubfiles

> hard to say - possibly but we need to work on getting a better picture
> of what you are proposing.

Yes, please.

-e.

--