Subject: Re: annoying "link state changed" messages on boot
To: None <>
From: Rui Paulo <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/01/2006 15:05:13
"Julio M. Merino Vidal" <> writes:

> On 5/1/06, Simon Burge <> wrote:
>> Every time on boot, I'm seeing messages like:
>>         wm0: link state changed to DOWN
>>         wm0: link state changed to UP
>> for any interface that's used, and just a
>>         re0: link state changed to DOWN
>> or similar for any interface that isn't used.
>> Other than being somewhat annoying, do they serve any useful
>> purpose?  If there any problem if "#ifdef DEBUG"ing them in
>> if_link_state_change()?
> I also find them annoying.  The question is: why were they added?

revision 1.46
date: 2006/02/18 19:51:07;  author: joerg;  state: Exp;  lines: +13 -34
Change the link status code in MII to use if_link_state_change instead
of calling rt_ifmsg directly. This allows other parts of the kernel
to change the behaviour depending on the link state and is a
prerequirement for CARP.

Hide mii_phy_statusmsg, mii_phy_update should be used instead.
Don't send routing messages for baudrate changes, if_baudrate is
currently not exported via this interface.

OK tls@

I also ok'ed...
  Rui Paulo			<rpaulo@{NetBSD{,-PT}.org,}>