Subject: Re: annoying "link state changed" messages on boot
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/01/2006 08:05:10
I would support not printing an initial

	wm0: link state changed to DOWN

because it's natural and unremarkable that it starts out down.  On my
system, I've not seen the initial down printfs.

I find these messages very useful - if a hub loses power, or more
likely if a wireless link flakes out, I notice faster.

An alternate view is that when doing

  ifconfig wm0 up

(or implicitly with an address), failure to have link state change to
UP should be logged, but not the expected acquisition of link.  Also,
any subsequent down transition.  But I find the current (not quite
current - the version I'm running) behavior very close to 100% right.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>