Subject: Re: Projects
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Raymond Chetty <rchetty@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/30/2006 12:08:30
I see. Well, would those who are reviewing the project proposals be
willing to consider a proposal which is only a partial completion of a
project with a promise to continue working on it? I was looking at the
POSIX standards,
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/idx/realtime.html
(that's them right?) and they seemed to have broken Real time into a
few Topics. Might it be possible to pick a few, maybe Asynchronous I/O
and Process Scheduling for example, and then propose working on them
for SoC and then continue the rest once SoC is over? I don't want to
be difficult or anything but I'd really like to work on this project
if at all possible.

As for filesystem experience, mine is pretty limited, see Phase #2 at
http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cs162/sp06/Nachos/index.html but
again, if there is some possible break down of the journalling project
that somebody could help me define that would be nice. I should also
mention that I think that they implemented Journaling for UFS in
FreeBSD in last years summer of code, see=20
http://www.freebsd.org/projects/summerofcode-2005.html, so depending
on how different the systems are, and how successful the project was,
that could be a potential time saver couldn't it?

But anyways, any comments/suggestions would be much appreciated. If
the feedback on this is negative perhaps I'll look more closely at
Improving/Extending Filesystem Resizer or Defragmentation for FFS, but
in any case is there anybody who wouldn't mind reviewing a proposal
once I've gotten some work done?

Thanks Again,
Raymond Chetty