Subject: Idea for SoC: emulation of ALSA
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.apr.sechs@onlinehome.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/29/2006 13:14:25
Hi,

the other day I was reminded that more and more software wants or needs
ALSA, the Advanced Linux Sounc Architecture.
I remember some discussions on tech-kern (2002-03 / 2005-02 according to
mail-index.NetBSD.org) about an ALSA-compatibility layer for NetBSD but
I do not know whether anything came out of this.

Could this (or a suitable part of it) be a Summer-of-Code project
for a student interested in audio? Laying the groundwork (research of
different approaches, identifying possible problems with existing NetBSD
architecture, more or less detailed roadmap how to do it) is possibly
enough if the whole project is too difficult for a period of two months.

Maybe some NetBSD developers in the area of audio and sound could mentor
this?

ciao
     Klaus