Subject: Re: hardware cursor acceleration in wsdisplay....
To: Michael <macallan1888@gmail.com>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/28/2006 10:14:16
Michael wrote:

> That doesn't have much to do with the image format used by the DAC or
> graphics controller.
> And on such a display you'd use black/white + mask. Sorry, I've yet to
> see any hardware that really uses only 1 bit cursor data and no mask.

I've not seen any either.

But imagine a simple mask, with a global bit indicating whether the mask
represents on or off bits (basically mask + 1-bit color map).  I'm
imagining embedded hardware here, like what could be used e.g. for a
cell phone or Newton-type PDA.  I don't know that anyone has ever done
such simple controllers before.

> >> Yeah.  Radeon can do better, but I'm not implementing right now...
>
> None of mine does anything like that as far as I know ( the voodoo3
> might though ) but we definitely should keep it in mind.

The Radeon X driver looks like it uses the alpha blending stuff for the
cursor.  I've not tested it myself, because I don't have a suitable
combination of Radeon + hardware +OS where I can test XFree86/Xorg.

That could change soon though.