Subject: Re: summer of code resize_ffs project
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/27/2006 18:12:19
>> resize_ffs use ffs file system and VFS interface to resizing FS.

> Really?

If so, it's a *major* rewrite.

> I think that it bypasses the file system completely and directly
> modifies the on-disk data.

Yes.  The version I first wrote, the version the first import was based
on, does do exactly this: you point it at the disk device and it goes
and scribbles on it directly.

> (Unless you want to add online resizing to it.)

That could be useful, but in my estimation would be an effort at least
as big as writing it in the first place was, quite possibly more.
(There were tons of race conditions I simply ignored under the design
assumption that nobody else was writing to the partition at the same
time).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign