Subject: Re: @booted_kernel magic symlink?
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/27/2006 16:13:17
"Garrett D'Amore" wrote:

> Btw, some programs in /bin/ and /sbin/ were probably missed.  ps for
> example.  But some of these programs use the nlist from the running
> system instead of relying on /netbsd, and hence, don't even need this
> silly @booted_kernel garbage.

Please check before suggesting programs like ps.  ps uses sysctls only
when run on a live system.

> These ones *don't* work:
>
> vmstat
> netstat
> pmap
> fstat
> systat
> pstat
> ifmcstat

Do you have a working /dev/ksyms?  At least vmstat and netstat I use
regularly on embedded boards with no /netbsd.

At this stage I still believe that savecore is the only program that
cares where the kernel is, as long as you have working ksyms.

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/