Subject: Re: @booted_kernel magic symlink?
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/27/2006 16:09:01
"Garrett D'Amore" wrote:

> Go ahead, tell me which ones folks think are most important, or are
> hardest to change, and *I'll* fix them.  I don't have any particular
> opinion myself.  "pkill" and "w" should be particularly easy, since I
> doubt they need anything that "ps" doesn't already use.

Good luck on the "1 hour" thing :-)

Of that list, the following use sysctl and only use the kmem grovelling
for crash dumps (although "-N /netbsd -M /dev/kmem" or something like
that works):

	usr.bin/ipcs
	usr.bin/nfsstat
	usr.bin/pkill
	usr.bin/w

For the rest:

 - usr.bin/vmstat

    I nearly have vmstat converted to sysctls - I just need to decide
    how to support machines that haven't switched their interrupt
    accounting to event counters.

 - sbin/ccdconfig

    Directly pokes around looking for CCD info, should be switched to an
    ioctl maybe?

 - usr.bin/fstat

    Grovels for info about different filesystem types.  Needs some VFS
    level helpers.

 - usr.bin/netstat

    Lots of different networking info gathered.  Matt Thomas had this
    nearly converted to sysctls at one stage?

 - usr.bin/pmap

    Ugg.  Maybe the worst of the grovellers.

 - usr.sbin/kgmon

    I thought this one was fully sysctl'ised, but looks to have too many
    kvm hooks left.

 - usr.sbin/pstat

    Traverses vnodes.  Should be a SMOP.

 - usr.bin/systat

    Uses info that netstat, vmstat, etc look for.  Would be the last to
    be sysctl'd.

 - sbin/savecore

    Discussed a lot here.

 - usr.sbin/trpt
 - usr.sbin/trsp
 - usr.sbin/mlxctl
 - usr.sbin/ifmcstat

    "NFI". mlxctl looks ugly inside, but doesn't seem difficult to
    change. ifmcstat looks like it should be lumped with netstat maybe?

 - usr.sbin/ntp

    This one's a furphy.  "Move along".

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/