Subject: Re: @booted_kernel magic symlink?
To: Simon Burge <>
From: Garrett D'Amore <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/26/2006 23:20:14
Simon Burge wrote:
> "Garrett D'Amore" wrote:
>> Btw, some programs in /bin/ and /sbin/ were probably missed.  ps for
>> example.  But some of these programs use the nlist from the running
>> system instead of relying on /netbsd, and hence, don't even need this
>> silly @booted_kernel garbage.
> Please check before suggesting programs like ps.  ps uses sysctls only
> when run on a live system.

Hmm... I was reading the code and it certainly looked like it at least
did a kvm_openfiles() (using ksyms) unconditionally.  But maybe I've
misread the code.

>> These ones *don't* work:
>> vmstat
>> netstat
>> pmap
>> fstat
>> systat
>> pstat
>> ifmcstat
> Do you have a working /dev/ksyms?  At least vmstat and netstat I use
> regularly on embedded boards with no /netbsd.
> At this stage I still believe that savecore is the only program that
> cares where the kernel is, as long as you have working ksyms.

I'm not sure.  I probably don't have working ksyms.  Easy enough to fix
though.  :-)

    -- Garrett
> Simon.
> --
> Simon Burge                            <>
> NetBSD Support and Service:

General Dynamics C4 Systems
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191