Subject: summer of code resize_ffs project
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: haad <haaaad@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/26/2006 15:04:08

Hi everybody

I look at JFS and now I know that is not project for SoC ,and I
probably:) can't  do this in 2 months.

Can I try to work on another SoC project more suitable for my level of
NetBSD knowledge.

I have looked to Improve/Extend File system Resizer[1] ,and I thing that
I can do this project in 2-3 months.

1) About Project

Goal of project is rewrite or review resize_ffs and make it more usable,
port it to FFS2 and write regression test suite.

This project provide code,documentation.

Project schedule and milestones

1 1.5 send project to google.com
2 in may I can review and rewrite resize_ffs code
3 20.6 write regression suite for resize_ffs
4 20.7 port resize_ffs to FFS2
5 probably I can implement also simple defragmentation (but this is
another SoC project)

Similar utility can be found in FreeBSD (growfs for UFS)
				Solaris use mkfs -G to grow their UFS to another size.

2) Project and NetBSD

Project is already included in NetBSD.

resize_ffs use ffs file system and VFS interface to resizing FS.
probably resize_ffs will use also wedges and for version compatibility
also disklabel interface.

I'm not familiar with this interface I have only user experience with
these interfaces.

3) About you

This is my first attempt to my a "bigger" project for community.
I'm good in C language ,know something from perl and shell programing.
In NetBSD I make some school works like Network traffic sniffer(duration
3 weeks and 1 person was involved) and
udp file transfer server/client utility(duration 2 weeks 1 person).I
heavily use SVN for my documents and programs.I hope that this mail
starts discussion about this project ,so I will be able to send this
project in 1.5 to Google.

Regards

[1]
http://www.netbsd.org/contrib/projects.html#resize_ffs

- --
Adam Hamsik
ICQ 249727910
jabber haad@jabber.org
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand
binary numbers, and those who don't.