Subject: master registry of PNP ids?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/25/2006 16:08:25
As part of the work I'm doing to enhance EDID monitor configuration, I'd
like to provide a report on the monitor manufacturer.

This is stored in the EDID as a "standard" 3 character (encoded down to
2 bytes) "vendor id".   E.g. "CPQ" == "Compaq".

This is the same scheme used for EISA and ISA-PNP, IIUC.  I even think
the vendor codes are basically the same for all three cases.

Should we try to get a single master database of PNP vendor IDs, or is
it better to keep 3 (or more?) separate databases around?

I'm not even sure where to find an "official" canonical list for these
vendor ids.

For now I'm just creating a "new" database, using IDs I've found
groveling around on the 'net.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191