Subject: Re: LINT'ing the kernel
To: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@fnop.net>
From: Chapman Flack <nblists@anastigmatix.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/23/2006 17:57:18
Rui Paulo wrote:
> kernel for all ports. I would be happy if we could create a GENERIC.in
> under sys/conf/ and then use that for all the ports we have (if
> there's a problem with some special port, we now have the 'no' thing
> in config(1)).

By the way, is the 'no' thing in config now generally useful enough
that the family of supplied config files could realistically be
refactored as

  include <common stuff>
  no <unwanted common stuff>
  <uncommon stuff>

?

I just noticed looking in cvsweb at sys/arch/i386/conf that there have
been a lot of recent changes duplicated in GENERIC and GENERIC_LAPTOP
but not in GENERIC.MP which seems to be bitrotting some. Seems like the
maintenance of these files could be simplified (and bit rot reduced)
by refactoring them that way.

Also, I am still wondering from the documentation of 'no' - is there
a precedence that governs the interaction of options, devices, and their
negation?  Say, if <common stuff> includes 'bar at foo', would this code
do what it wants to do?

  include <common stuff>
  no device at foo
  baz at foo

or would the 'no device' really clobber everything at foo no matter
where declared?

-Chap