Subject: Re: MI changes & code ownership
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Cherry G.Mathew <cherry@zyx.in>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/22/2006 22:14:13
On Apr 22, 2006, at 9:59 PM, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Cherry G.Mathew <cherry@zyx.in> writes:
>>>
>>> Can you explain the purpose for the change? The thread you quoted
>>> doesn't really explain what you are planning to do to
>>> doshutdownhooks().
>>
>> I guess the archives don't thread across lists:
>>
>> Here's part of the moved thread on tech-kern.
>>
>> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2006/04/05/0007.html
>
> I've read the thread. It does not say precisely what you are proposing
> -- it just discusses the topic.

The proposal is to modify MI code in kern_subr.c to pass on the howto
variable
which describes whether the shutdown event is a reboot or a shutdown
(or whatever else). This would
allow, say the wd driver to decide whether to spin down the hard disk
before shutting down power
( this was the issue that brought up the discussion in the first place.
)

> BTW, it sounded like people thought the right thing was to bring in the
> FreeBSD kernel events stuff.

Yes, but it doesn't sound like its going to happen immediately. What
I'm proposing is an interim solution.

Thanks,

Cherry.