Subject: Re: use of C99 revisited
To: Garrett D'Amore <>
From: Chapman Flack <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/21/2006 14:52:58
Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> Anyway, I would like to inquire as to whether this would be considered
> acceptable.  I.e., can I start using some subsets of C99 (those bits
> supported by GCC 3.x at least) in code not likely to need to be built
> with gcc 2.x?

I've used structure initialization in a MIDI API header, not yet in the
tree but visible in

It turns out the C99 features I wanted (struct initialization and variadic
macros) were already in gcc 2.95.3, with only a slight variation on C99
syntax, so with just a small bit of conditional definition in the .h file
should make it usable on every port including vax; therefore I don't see
much reason to hesitate to use those features.