Subject: Re: ufs/ffs logging [Was: Re: Google Summer of Code project ideas]
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Volker A. Brandt <vab@bb-c.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/21/2006 19:06:32
> > > *  Journaling for FFS  -- Solaris UFS (the same filesystem we call FFS)
> > >    provides for a journaling filesystem with snapshots. Extend FFS/FFS2
> > >    similarly; it may even be possible to use a compatible on-disk
> > >    format.
> >
> > I find this a very interesting idea.  Has anyone looked at the
> > feasibility of adapting the OpenSolaris ufs code?  Is this possible
> > per the Sun license?
>
> I think that it'd be much better to just look at it for inspiration. If
> you care about journaling, look at "Practical File System Design with the
> Be File System" by Dominic Giampaolo.

Agreed.  I was a little unclear; I was specifically referring to
the hope that their might be a way to achieve a compatible on-disk
format, at least for identical endianness.

> > The next step of course would be to support zfs... that would be an
> > awesome SoC project! :-)
>
> As noted, that's much more than an SoC project.

Indeed. :-)

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt                  Consulting and Support for Sun Solaris
Brandt & Brandt Computer GmbH              WWW: http://www.bb-c.de/~vab/
Meckenheim, Germany                                   Email: vab@bb-c.de