Subject: Re: Apple UFS
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/20/2006 13:52:06
> I am using NetBSD-current and having problems with Apple UFS (which
> used to work very well).  A mounted Apple UFS parition shows
> corrupted files, and fsck_ffs -a core-dumps.
> Please, advice. :)

If you want advice on how to deal with the situation, I don't have
much.  If I were in that position I would build a version of fsck_ffs
with debugging symbols and start debugging the coredump, but if you
were comptent to do that you probably would already have done it.

If the filesystem is relatively small (no more than a few gigabytes)
and you don't mind letting other people look at it, I'd be willing to
sit down with the filesystem and fsck_ffs and see if I can see what's
going on.  (If you want to take me up on this, contact me off-list, at
mouse@netbsd.org - based on the headers of your list mail, you will not
be able to reach me directly at my "real" address.)

This definitely indicates a bug in fsck_ffs.  There is no possible
filesystem corruption for which fsck_ffs coredumping is a correct
response.

You might be able to do something useful with the Apple tools; have you
tried that?  They may be capable of fixing the damage, even if our
fsck_ffs isn't.  (If you're planning on giving someone a copy of the
filesystem, make the copy first, of course.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign