Subject: Re: where to build ndiscvt?
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Alan Ritter <ritter.alan@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/20/2006 10:39:51
On Thursday 20 April 2006 09:59 am, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 09:56:08AM -0700, Alan Ritter wrote:
> > On 4/20/06, Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> wrote:
> > > A) Built and installed into the build system as part of the system
> > > build,
> > >
> > > and
> > >
> > > B) Built and installed as a build tool as part of the tools build.
> > >
> > > What exactly are we waiting for, then?
> >
> > OK, so I should just add it as a tool, and in the distribution of all
> > architectures then?
>
> It is definitely required as a tool.  If you want to install it only
> in the distribution for i386, it seems to me that would be an
> acceptable thing to do (if you're going to cross-compile a kernel by
> hand, you'll need to build the tools first anyway).

Yes, it might be most sensible to only build it in the i386 distribution, but
also include it as a tool.  That way it would be easily available for users
who just want to get the card in their laptop working, and it will also be
available to someone who is cross-compiling an NDIS i386 kernel.

Thanks!