Subject: Re: where to build ndiscvt?
To: Alan Ritter <ritter.alan@gmail.com>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/20/2006 12:59:27
"Alan Ritter" <ritter.alan@gmail.com> writes:

> Would this imply not including it in the distribution at all, but only
> adding a src/tools/ndiscvt?

No, it would be like make, and cc, tsort and zic, and all the other
things in src/tools.  The program would be compiled normally and
available in userland in addition to being available as a host tool.

> ndiscvt will really only be used to build a new kernel, so I can see
> the argument that it is a tool, but at the same time it will most
> likely be run by hand instead of from an automated script. It might be
> a bit teadeous for users who just want their laptop network card to
> work to have to build a new toolchain.  But perhaps I'm
> misunderstanding.

I didn't mean to imply it should be host tool only, and not also
normally built.

I think that after putting ndiscvt someplace (presumably /usr/sbin)
then all one needs to do is add a src/tools/ndiscvt/Makefile with a
few lines in it.  This will make nbndiscvt in
[TOOLDIR=/usr/obj/tools]/bin, in addition to /usr/sbin/ndiscvt

Normal users won't use it as a host tool, just as a regular program.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>