Subject: Re: where to build ndiscvt?
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Alan Ritter <ritter.alan@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/20/2006 09:51:22
On 4/20/06, Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> wrote:
> Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:52:19PM -0700, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> >> I cross-compile i386 kernels on other architectures all the time;  I
> >> agree with others here who've raised the "this sounds like a build too=
l;
> >> it should be available on all architectures" argument...
> >
> > I agree with this part. There is one other subtelity though: I think th=
is
> > is not a build tool in the src/tools sense, since i386 kernels will nev=
er
> > include an NDIS driver by default, right?
>
> I routinely modify the sources (without commiting) e.g. to add IPSEC
> to GENERIC, and then run build.sh.  In my projects, I import NetBSD
> on the vendor branch and make extensive changes.  So if there is NDIS
> support at all, and there's a host tool, it should be a host tool -
> even if the default builds don't need it.

Would this imply not including it in the distribution at all, but only
adding a src/tools/ndiscvt?

ndiscvt will really only be used to build a new kernel, so I can see
the argument that it is a tool, but at the same time it will most
likely be run by hand instead of from an automated script. It might be
a bit teadeous for users who just want their laptop network card to
work to have to build a new toolchain.  But perhaps I'm
misunderstanding.