Subject: Re: where to build ndiscvt?
To: Alan Ritter <ritter.alan@gmail.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/20/2006 12:43:43
On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 09:40:52AM -0700, Alan Ritter wrote:
> On 4/20/06, Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:52:19PM -0700, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> > > I cross-compile i386 kernels on other architectures all the time;  I
> > > agree with others here who've raised the "this sounds like a build tool;
> > > it should be available on all architectures" argument...
> >
> > I agree with this part.
>
> OK, it sounds like it's pretty unanimous that ndiscvt should be built
> on all architectures.  In order to do this would I just need to move
> ndiscvt from distrib/sets/lists/base/md.i386 to mi like so (should I
> commit this)?  Or maybe I should hold off until it is decided if
> ndiscvt should be built as a tool or not?

I don't really see how there is any deciding required -- nor any holding
off, this close to the 4.0 branch point.

If a program is required in order to build kernels for any port, that
program must be *both*:

A) Built and installed into the build system as part of the system build,

and

B) Built and installed as a build tool as part of the tools build.

What exactly are we waiting for, then?

Thor