Subject: Re: where to build ndiscvt?
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/20/2006 08:12:28
Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:52:19PM -0700, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
>> I cross-compile i386 kernels on other architectures all the time;  I
>> agree with others here who've raised the "this sounds like a build tool;
>> it should be available on all architectures" argument...
>
> I agree with this part. There is one other subtelity though: I think this
> is not a build tool in the src/tools sense, since i386 kernels will never
> include an NDIS driver by default, right?

I routinely modify the sources (without commiting) e.g. to add IPSEC
to GENERIC, and then run build.sh.  In my projects, I import NetBSD
on the vendor branch and make extensive changes.  So if there is NDIS
support at all, and there's a host tool, it should be a host tool -
even if the default builds don't need it.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>