Subject: Re: where is KASSERT(9) documented?
To: Igor Sobrado <igor@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/17/2006 23:31:35
>> Montreal is quite definitely not in California. :-)
> I suppose that it is good, at least I will assume that you know the
> use of uppercase letters!

e. e. cummings I'm not. :)  (You're from Spain according to your
email's domain, and you're asking for help with English, so this may be
lsot on you without explanation.  e. e. cummings is a writer who wrote
in English and was known for a lack of capitalization - to the point
that "e. e. cummings" instead of "E. E. Cummings" is the canonical form
of the name.)

> (too many C programming makes people miss that uppercase letters
> exist, though)  ;-)

I'd say, rather, that it inculcates attitudes about their use
that...may seem surprising to those who have not adopted such
mind-sets.

For example, when I write "Figs are fruit which...", I capitalize the
`f' because "figs" is a plain English word, and English is not
case-sensitive about word identity in almost all cases.  But when I
write "tr is a command which...", I do not capitalize the `t' because
"Tr" is semantically very different from "tr" (as contrasted to the
non-difference between "Figs" and "figs").

>> Either on-list or direct is fine by me.  You might want to send a
>> ping first if you're sending direct, though, to verify that mail
>> works that way.

As it happens, your direct copy arrived intact, so you can send to me
directly if you want to.

> I cannot ping rodents.montreal.qc.ca directly,

I meant "ping" in the more general sense, in this case referring to a
"do you get this?" email.

> but I can reach Sparkle.

Right, rodents.montreal.qc.ca itself does not have any addresses.  Only
machines within it do.

> Hope you have the right MX record in the local DNS!

Well, something seems to have worked!

> I have some issues understanding the behaviour of KASSERT and
> KDASSERT assertion-checking macros...

I don't consider myself competent to address this issue.  I have never
really undestood the mindset behind KASSERT, and until this message
hadn't noticed KDASSERT at all.  While I can call out semantic mistakes
when I notice them, I was thinking of myself as more an English touchup
person than a semantic content checker person.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign