Subject: Re: Compressed Cache System
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Fleming <mattjfleming@googlemail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/17/2006 00:34:02
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

First of all, my apologies for posting to this list, when I meant to
post to tech-embed. The reason I've replied to this post is because I
didn't want to appear to be rude by ignoring you.

> What does it do?
It allows pages to be stored in a compressed form in a 'compressed
cache' which is implemented in vm.

> How does it integrate with NetBSD?
I'm thinking it will be a kernel option specifically used for embedded
systems with little memory. It will require significant patches to uvm
(and possibly pmap modules) and lesser patches to ffs.

> Is it a port of software, or a rewrite? (remember: No GPL in the Kernel!)
It will require a rewrite as the entire code is GPL.

> What interfaces in NetBSD does it use?
I've not got that far yet.

As I don't want to pollute this list any longer can you direct any
further inquiries/comments either to me as private mail or the
tech-embed list.

Thanks,
Matt