Subject: Re: Kernel version bump after wsdisplay changes?
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/15/2006 21:49:24
--DejVYFcqCV4p9T4J

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 07:49:45PM +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> Do I have to bump the kernel version after:
>=20
> 1) Having removed the {get,put}wschar accessops.
> 2) Modified the prototype of the ioctl and mmap accessops to take an extra
>    parameter.

The kernel version number in -current denotes the ABI version.  That
information is useful for LKMs.  However, if we really noted every
single ABI change, we'd do it close to daily.  The question can be put
in those terms:  is your change likely to impact an existing LKM?  is
your change likely to impact a future LKM that would be back-ported?

Of course, I take the opportunity to once more beg for a separate ABI
number (because kernel version is used for other means, too, like the
release version), and also an API number, because maintaining a LKM
source across multiple versions is currently a pain.  Granted, almost
everything related to LKMs is currently a pain.

--=20

--DejVYFcqCV4p9T4J

--DejVYFcqCV4p9T4J--