Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/sys
To: None <uwe@netbsd.org, tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/13/2006 18:50:05
On 4/13/06, Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 17:02:59 -0700, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>
> > Okay, I have a concern this.  As far as I can tell, the cookie is passe=
> > to the driver, but I cannot see how the driver can make sense of it.
> > The cookie that wsdisplay passes seems to be a struct wsscreen, which i=
> > a private structure to wsdisplay(4) -- it is not declared in any
> > external headers.
> >
> > So how is a display driver (e.g. machfb, or more to the point, my
> > radeonfb driver) supposed to use this member argument?  It doesn't
> > look like you are using this from within any of the modified drivers
> > (or at least the ones I looked at, p9100, amidisplaycc, machfb,
> > vga.)
> >
> > The changes to wsdisplay(4) shed no light on this either.
> >
> > Pass an opaque cookie is useless to the driver unless there is some way
> > for the driver to do something meaningful with it.
>
> What Garrett said.  If you want to identify a screen you need to pass
> emulcookie, as wsdisplay does to show_screen &co.

Yes... I noticed this when making get/putwschar video-card specific afterwa=
rd;
just check my mail about it sent last night.

But anyway, didn't your original PR say that using emulcookie was the wrong
thing to do?  If not, what's the whole point of "fixing" get/putwschar, asi=
de
making them driver-specific?

> Julio, can you *please* stop rushing unreviewed changes to wscons?

Of course.

But this change was actually suggested and reviewed by someone who
(to my point of view) is knowledgeable about wscons and the video stuff.

And about other "unreviewed" changes... I believe that, in the past, I've
always submitted any changes to wscons through tech-kern.  It's a
different matter if nobody stepped up to review them for several days
after which silence becomes approval.  As regards get/putwschar being
wrong in the first place (I still do not see why, given what I said above),
I was not even a developer when they were added.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
The Julipedia - http://julipedia.blogspot.com/