Subject: Re: Default console text colour too dim?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/11/2006 12:24:43
On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 00:17:38 -0300, Jared D. McNeill wrote:

> I've noticed on a few of my vesafb test machines that in 8bpp
> paletted mode, the console text colour is a very dark grey. It seems
> that this is because I use rasops_cmap to initialize an "ANSI
> colourmap", and the definition of ``white'' is as follows:
>
>         0xc7, 0xc7, 0xc7, /* white - XXX too dim? */
>
> If I override this value in vesafb to something higher, let's say
> { 0xdf, 0xdf, 0xdf }, then the text is actually readable. I've also
> heard reports of other users of rasops that have similar problems
> with the default text colour being too dim. In my experience though,
> not all VESA devices are nearly as dim.

The green on your screenshots is so bright, that I'm willing to bet
you are bitten by the brain dead BGR default of rasops15 that makes
dim green "00000 01111 000000" looks briht "000000 11110 00000".

A quick way to test this hypothesis is

    $ wsconsctl -dw msg.default.fg=red

and see if it turns blueish.

PS: I had my share of fun with it, that was also compounded by the
wrong byte order:

    http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-hpcsh/2005/09/04/0000.html

SY, Uwe
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/          |       Ist zu Grunde gehen