Subject: Re: make ramdisk-big fail
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/09/2006 00:12:39
On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 12:09:01AM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
>What's this doing in tech-kern?  I think current-users would be better.

I'm on that list, but I'm not running current, -r netbsd-3-0; seems
a build problem, but feel free to reply to current-users if that's
more appropriate.

>On Thu, 06 Apr 2006, George Georgalis wrote:
>> I just updated sources to netbsd-3-0, then
>>
>> cd /usr/src && ./build.sh tools
>> cd /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies/ramdisk-big && make
>>
>> all was going fine till...
>>
>> #     strip  ramdiskbin
>> make: don't know how to make /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV. Stop
>>
>> make: stopped in /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies/ramdisk-big
>
>Building floppy images is supposed to happen only after other things
>have been built, and you can expect problems if you force things to
>build out of order.  In this case, probably
>
>	cd /usr/src/etc && make MAKEDEV
>
>will do the trick.  But since you are not using OBJ dirs and tools, even
>that might fail.  The "supported" way of building is to use build.sh as
>described in src/BUILDING.

well I was going on a howto, that I presume worked at some point,

http://www.yazzy.org/docs/NetBSD/netbsd-on-cf.txt
How to create bootable NetBSD image on Compact Flash?

but in any event, this section of the NetBSD guide indicates it should work
http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-misc.html#chap-misc-creating-bootfloppies

I don't see anything about ramdisk, boot floppies or cflash in BUILDING.

Basically I need to run partitions that require regular read/write
on an md device, so booting a ramdisk like for bootfloppies seems
the way.

Well I think the above doc (or possibly the make targets) did not
consider the situation of building from virgin source. Indeed, it
wasn't mentioned that I need to "./build.sh tools"; but they where
missing on my prior attempt.

In any event, the "cd /usr/src/etc && make MAKEDEV" step did
the trick, thanks.  When make said "don't know how to make
/usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV" I thought it was broke, since I knew that
wasn't a target, it was a script. Now I know how to generate it
too. :)  ...and made notes to submit a doc patch.

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@galis.org