Subject: Re: make ramdisk-big fail
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/09/2006 00:09:01
What's this doing in tech-kern?  I think current-users would be better.
Anyway...

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006, George Georgalis wrote:
> I just updated sources to netbsd-3-0, then
>
> cd /usr/src && ./build.sh tools
> cd /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies/ramdisk-big && make
>
> all was going fine till...
>
> #     strip  ramdiskbin
> make: don't know how to make /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV. Stop
>
> make: stopped in /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies/ramdisk-big

Building floppy images is supposed to happen only after other things
have been built, and you can expect problems if you force things to
build out of order.  In this case, probably

	cd /usr/src/etc && make MAKEDEV

will do the trick.  But since you are not using OBJ dirs and tools, even
that might fail.  The "supported" way of building is to use build.sh as
described in src/BUILDING.

--apb (Alan Barrett)