Subject: Re: user address space protection in the kernel
To: Rahul Kulkarni <rahul.kulkarni@gmail.com>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/08/2006 08:15:55
Rahul Kulkarni wrote:

> RK->>>>>>>I did not mean user code in the kernel context..Let me
> rephrase that  If a buggy system call or a buggy ioctl servicing a
> user process happens to potentially trample parts of the user adress
> space will it generate a DSI or an exception? since the USERSR is
> invalid at that point? Is there any other window in the kernel other
> than copy{in,out} where USERSR is valid?

Really, this is a relatively minor concern.  If you have a buggy system
call or ioctl, it is much much more likely to corrupt other parts of the
kernel which will cause panics.

--
Matt Thomas                     email: matt@3am-software.com
3am Software Foundry              www: http://3am-software.com/bio/matt/