Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/sys/dev/ata
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/06/2006 16:30:50
On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:40:19PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> Well, I have no ideas on this. I just can say that when I looked at
> it, I saw it would touch a lot of code and said "I'll do it later" :)

There are lots of places that can do with a generic hook
infrastructure.  I posted a proposal about doing one on tech-kern on
the 31st of Jan. this year.  At the time it was suggested that we look
at importing the FreeBSD eventhandler code instead, which with a few
modifications would be able to cover what we have now and provide the
flexibility that Cherry is looking for.

I am coming to a point where I will have some time to look at this but
I am wondering do I wait for gcc4 or not?  The reason being is that if
I do this now I will need to modify the varargs handling from the
FreeBSD code because it uses semantics only supported in gcc3 - the
problem is that this leave the vax architecture out in the cold as
that is still using a gcc2 compiler. Apparently gcc4 will be supported
on the vax.  So, if I wait for the gcc4 import I can get away with
fewer modifications... but it means I wait.

--
Brett Lymn