Subject: atheros HAL stuff
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org, tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/03/2006 20:27:15
I've recently committed some changes to the Atheros HAL.

1) the HAL is updated to 0.9.16.16 from Sam Leffler

2) the HAL directory layout has changed to reflect that used in FreeBSD
and Linux (so future imports should be *much* easier)

3) the Makefiles have been cleaned up a bit (IMO at least) so that the
awful rules you had to do to add a HAL object are gone, instead you can
just .include src/sys/contrib/dev/ath/netbsd/Makefile.ath.inc.  Look at
the src/sys/arch/i386/conf/Makefile.i386 for an example.  (amd64 got a
more limited form of the clean up, because of special post-processing
needed to massage the object when building an INSTALL kernel)

4) ports should no longer need to list a port-specific HAL object file,
sys/conf/files lists /athhal.o and the machinery in the above Makefiles
picks the right HAL object.

5) I've added an entry to src/doc/3RDPARTY for the HAL.  sam@, david@,
and myself are listed as RESPONSIBLE.  (I probably shouldn't be there at
all, but as the guilty part for the last batch of changes, I felt
obligated.... :-)

Hopefully these changes will shortly be followed by an updated HAL from
Sam Leffler.  My understanding is that he's working on a new HAL which
will include support for the Atheros SoCs and 32-bit SPARC, among
possible other features.  Please don't bother him yet, the stuff is
still in testing (and for the SoC stuff, at least, debug).   Stay tuned.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191