Subject: Re: vmstat and netstat....
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/27/2006 18:12:17
On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 07:56:17AM -0800, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> > I don't have a /netbsd on my Xen domUs, and didn't notice missing
> > functionalities with netstat/vmstat
> >

> Try vmstat -e.

Works for me, without a /netbsd. ktrace shows that it uses /dev/kmem,
but gets the symbols from /dev/ksym. It doesn't even do a NAMI on /netbsd.

> > This is a very important functionality, and I think it should be keept in
> > these tools (no need to make it harder for sysadmins), but the
> > kernel binary is only needed to do post-mortem analysis (or at last,
> > should)
> >

> And, after examination, this is what FreeBSD does.  OpenBSD and NetBSD
> use the kernel binary and /dev/kmem.

NetBSD's netstat also use sysctl, at last for the functionalities I looked
at. vmstat seems to still use /dev/kmem. But even in this mode, it doesn't
need a /netbsd, /dev/ksym is enough. I don't know how hard it would be to
add a sysctl tree for the informations vmstat needs.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>