Subject: Re: vmstat and netstat....
To: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/27/2006 12:24:43
--d2gbjLj8lQXcyCnz

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 12:02:51PM +0200, ragge@ludd.luth.se wrote:
> > It was recently pointed out that a few commands (vmstat, netstat)
> > require a kernel file (/netbsd) in the root filesystem in order to
> > provide, for example, accurate statistics.
> >=20
> That's not true.  When I added /dev/ksyms a few years ago I changed
> the kvm routines to try that first.  Only if you have removed the
> ksyms pseudo-device the tools will use the /netbsd namelist.

In some situations ksyms are unusable because the kernel was passed
wrong data about symbol table location.  This is the case when GRUB is
used to boot netbsd directly.

However, the Xen hypervisor doesn't seem to suffer from that issue, at
least it doesn't on my installation.

--=20

--d2gbjLj8lQXcyCnz

--d2gbjLj8lQXcyCnz--