Subject: Re: Integrating securelevel and kauth(9)
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@Pescadero.dsg.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/26/2006 13:01:45
In message <200603251528.k2PFSZmd004220@guild.plethora.net>Peter Seebach writes

Peter, what's got you so riled? Let me restore both what Garret said,
and the portoin of my repsonse which you snipped completley out of
context:

>>These are all good points.  But they overlook a major consideration.
>>
>>Most sites (and I've worked with a number of them over the years) that
>>care about this kind of thing are not going to jump on whatever
>>new-fangled thing we come up with, or even the latest version of the
>>operating system, *precisely* because they want the newness to wear off.
>>
>>These kinds of sites will keep running NetBSD 1.5 until the far-off
>>future, and then, only after much debate and testing, consider upgrading
>>to 2.0 or 3.0.

Saying that to people who (like Thor and I) building hardened secure
systems is both condescending and offensive.  Garrett is telling Thor
and I, in essence, that he, Garrett knows better about what NetBSD
users like Thor or I want, than do (for example) Thor or I.

*In that context*, my reply to Garrett, below, was  mild and inoffensive: