Subject: Re: Kernel API question 2
To: Filka Michal <michal.filka@strom.cz>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/24/2006 18:10:18
--l+goss899txtYvYf

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 10:42:46AM +0100, Filka Michal wrote:
> Yes, this seems like thing I was looking for.=20
>=20
> I have one more question. The last parameter of NDINIT is described as
> "the calling process.". However, if I call it from my driver I needn't
> to be in any process context ... So, is NULL allowed or should I use any
> "kernel process identifier"?

I'd recommend not doing it that way. I think you'll do better to either
move to a newer version of NetBSD, back-port the firmware(9) changes to
your version, or write a little program to call an ioctl on your driver
that does the load. You can have the program open the file and then either=
=20
pass the file descriptor into the kernel or read the firmware and pass the=
=20
address of the memory into the kernel.

It's a lot easier to change the file name if you pass it to a program than=
=20
if it's hard-coded in the kernel. :-)

Take care,

Bill