Subject: Re: Kernel API question 2
To: Filka Michal <michal.filka@strom.cz>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/24/2006 23:03:16
On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 10:42:46AM +0100, Filka Michal wrote:

> I have one more question. The last parameter of NDINIT is described as
> "the calling process.". However, if I call it from my driver I needn't
> to be in any process context ... So, is NULL allowed or should I use any
> "kernel process identifier"?

No - you need a process context so that credentials and so forth can
be checked to see if you are allowed to open the file or not.  The
kernel routines are not designed for reading data from a filesystem
without a process requesting it so what you seem to be trying to do is
very difficult.

--
Brett Lymn