Subject: Re: MTD devices in NetBSD
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: marty fouts <mf.danger@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/23/2006 15:37:32
On 3/23/06, Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com> wrote:

> So I'm going to provide a framework that works with NOR.  It will be up
> to someone else to do a NAND conversion layer.

I believe that's an excellent idea.

> My gut feeling is that
> boards with NAND on them are less interesting at the moment than those
> with NOR.  The systems that use NAND are likely to have the NAND part
> locked away behind a USB or CompactFlash adapter.

In my end of the universe, the opposite is true. NAND being cheaper
than NOR, it is far more interesting for handheld devices and it is
presented in the device in raw form because device makers don't want
the overhead cost of the USB or CompactFlash adapter.  Oh, and it is
*also* presented behind an adapter as add-in memory, usually CF or SD.

That said, I still think it's a good idea to concentrate on NOR first
and worry about NAND later.

Marty