Subject: Re: MTD devices in NetBSD
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Terry Moore <tmm@mcci.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/23/2006 15:43:04
CF cards are done with NAND flash.  They don't "know where things
are", they just have an intermediate layer that provides an
abstraction.  Due to patents, this is done in a variety of ways.

Don't obsess on block numbers "above the line", as it were, having
anything necessary to do with block numbers below the line; they (in
general) will not.  Block-oriented file systems don't actually care;
they depend on very specific abstract semantics (I wrote X to
location Z and when I read X, I get Z; and for all Y not equal to X,
nothing got changed by writing Z, and I can write X to Z as often as
I like.)  Generally these days there's lots of translation going on
downstream from them (think about RAID, striping, etc).  Performance
benefits from a design that assumes mostly one-to-one correspondence
are pretty modest, when you consider that flash needs substantial
error management.

Breaking the one-to-one correspondence paradigm lets you separate
flash management from the rest of the world, and there are techniques
to let things be consecutive most of the time, which gets your data
transfer performance up where you want it.

--Terry